Jazz up the humble meatball with a kick of chilli. These Italian style flavours are delicious with a side of fresh salad, spiralised courgette noodles, or a little pasta.
Recipe: Meatballs in Chilli-Tomato Sauce
Prep and cooking time: 45 mins
- 400g minced beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced or minced
- 2 small red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Mix together the mince, egg, parsley, chilli powder (if using), and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Roll them into tight balls and place on a plate.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Cook the meatballs in batches, until evenly browned (but not burnt). Remove and place on a plate.
- Fry the onion, garlic, and chilli in the remaining 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat for 5mins, or until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5mins.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 9-10mins, or until cooked through.
- Serve, garnished with extra parsley.