This omelette recipe is a great base; it’s fluffy and light. You can have it plain or choose one of our variations to jazz it up.
Prep and cooking time: 15 mins
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain natural or Greek yoghurt
- 2-3 medium or large eggs
- Fresh or dried herbs (optional)
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 50g ham, finely sliced
- 40g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 courgette, diced
- 25g fresh fennel, very finely diced (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 40g feta cheese, crumbled
- 6-8 small mixed colour tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 6-8 basil leaves, sliced
- 40g fresh mozzarella or feta cheese, roughly diced/torn
- Gently mix the eggs in a small bowl with yoghurt and a pinch of salt and pepper (and any dried herbs).
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, over medium heat. If you’re adding any vegetables, cook these in a drizzle of olive oil for 2-3mins to soften. Transfer to a side dish.
- Add the butter to the pan, when it’s melted (but not browned), pour the egg mix in. Once the mixture starts to set, tilt the pan and use a spatula to lift the edges slightly to allow the raw egg to flow underneath.
- Distribute the cooked vegetables, cheese, and/ or fresh herbs over the top. If your pan has a lid, put it on, but this isn’t essential.
- When the omelette starts to firm up around the edges, tilt the pan and fold it over in half.
- Serve immediately.